LIHEAP Information


For Eligible Residents of Winnebago and Boone Counties  

LIHEAP (Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program) can pay a one-time benefit (DVP) directly to your energy companies for you, or directly to eligible renters if all energy costs are included in your rent.  You may also have the option of signing up for PIPP at your LIHEAP appointment – PIPP is a monthly budget plan where if you make your payments on time, it will forgive a portion of your past due balances. (You will have to choose between PIPP or the LIHEAP DVP – you cannot receive both).  Applicants must be in the following categories:

 Group 1 – Senior and Disabled Households – Begins October Must be income eligible and have a member 60 years of age or older or have a member receiving Social Security Disability (If resident is under 60 and disabled, must bring in proof of social security disability benefits. Pending disability is NOT accepted.  Disability includes SSI, SSDI, Vet Disability, or AABD)

Group 2 – Households with children under 6 yrs – and Disconnected Households – Begins November

Households with children under 6 must be income eligible and have a child under 6 years of age (up to 5 years, 364 days – must still be 5 yrs. on date of application; must prove age with birth certificate or Medicaid card with birthdate).  Disconnected households must be income eligible and one or both of your energy utilities is shut off. You may be eligible to apply for Reconnection Assistance (RA). The RA amount, plus your regular LIHEAP benefit, needs to be enough money to pay your whole bill in order to turn on your service.  If you owe more than that, you will have to pay the difference. If you can’t, the application will be denied due to “Client Portion Required” (CPR).  When you are able to make a personal payment directly to the utility to make up the difference, or set up a payment arrangement with them, then you can reapply for assistance.

Group 3 – Begins December – All other Income qualified residents


 Ÿ PHOTO ID issued by a third party, such as driver’s license, state ID, work ID, college ID, FOID card (no copies)

Ÿ PROOF OF GROSS INCOME from all household members 18 years and older for the 30-DAY PERIOD before your application date. This includes TANF and other public benefits, child support, as well as wages from a job and other forms of income (such as SSI, SSDI, etc.) IMPORTANT!! IF YOUR HOUSEHOLD HAS NO (ZERO) INCOME, you must provide proof that the household receives PUBLIC benefits, such as SNAP/Link, public housing verification, or a letter from someone who is helping to support you.

Ÿ YOUR CURRENT/LATEST HEAT AND ELECTRIC BILLS, both front & back, that includes name and address, issued within the last 30 days. Disconnect notices are not accepted in place of bills.

Ÿ SOCIAL SECURITY CARDS FOR ALL HOUSEHOLD MEMBERS – IT CANNOT BE A COPY OR AN APPLICATION FOR A CARD. Certified birth certificates will be accepted in place of Social Security Cards for children under the age of 6 months. Hospital birth certificates are NOT accepted (unless a child is under 1 month old).

Ÿ IF BOTH UTILITIES ARE INCLUDED IN RENT, a copy of rental agreement showing that utilities are included, the monthly rental amount and landlord contact information.


For households with more than 8 members, for each member add $522 for 30 day income These figures are based on the Federal Poverty Guidelines of 150% of poverty.


               INCOME GUIDELINES

Household Size


Total household  30 day gross income (before taxes taken out) no more than:
1 $1,508
2 $2,030
3 $2,553
4 $3,075
5 $3,598
6 $4,120
7 $4,643
8 $5,165

                                                 SEE OTHER SIDE FOR SITE LIST    à


At this time, all households in Winnebago and Boone Counties who have not received LIHEAP since October of 2017, and are income qualified, can apply for LIHEAP.  These are the current participating sites and opportunities to apply (revised 1/5/18)

 At these sites, you can call for an appointment on the first business day of the month

(February 1 , March 1, April 2, May 1 – or until funds run out and program ends)

  • Central Terrace Co-op 815-962-4112 (Rockford Residents only)
  • City of Rockford Human Services/Community Action – 844-710-6919
  • Rockton Township 815-624-7788 (Roscoe, Durand, South Beloit, Rockton residents only)
  • United Way of Boone County 815-544-3144  (Boone County residents only)
  • NIAAA 779-221-3717    (Seniors, Disabled Adults and Veterans only)

These sites make their own appointments. Call them for more information

  • Lifescape 815-963-1609  (Seniors, Disabled Adults and Veterans)
  • Keen Age Center 815-544-9893  (Seniors in Boone County)

These sites will serve their own residents or clients.  Call them for more information

  • Rockford Housing Authority
  • Embrace Living Communities/Greencastle
  • Spring Ridge
  • Park Tower
  • Skyrise Apartments
  • Faust Landmark
  • Luther Center
  • Oak Street Health
  • Rock Valley Refugee Program
  • Rosecrance
  • Rockford Township
  • Stepping Stones
  • Mercyhealth at Home
  • The ARC

Are you shut off from your utility?

  • Disconnected households can walk in without an appointment Monday through Thursday 8:30-11:30 at 555 North Court Street #301, Rockford with all the needed documents

Special walk-in sites for residents in special areas:

  • Harlem Comm. Center 9350 Forest Hills Road Mach Park –   1/26/18, 2/23/18   10:00am – 5:00pm

           (Loves Park and Machesney Park residents only)

  • Northwest Fire 3222 N Central Ave      2/26/18 and 3/26/18    1:00pm – 7:00pm

                  (Outlying Winnebago County area residents)

  • Lions Club 305 E North St, Capron    1/24/18 and 2/28/18    1:00pm – 7:00pm

(Boone County residents only)

  • Cherry Valley Village Hall 806 E. State St.  Cherry Valley  1/25/18     1:00pm – 5:00pm

(Cherry Valley and New Milford area residents only)